What is Internet marketing? In general terms, Internet marketing, or online marketing, refers to any type of advertising or online marketing efforts that uses the Internet and e-mail to increase sales, directly or indirectly, for your company. Internet marketing and online advertising are sometimes used in conjunction with types of advertising like radio, television, newspapers and magazines.
Internet marketing can also be broken down into more specialized areas such as online marketing, email marketing and social media marketing:
- Pay-per-click advertising such as Google AdWords
- Affiliate marketing
- Traditional online advertising such as pay-per-impression banner advertising
- Search engine optimization (SEO)
- Email marketing involves both advertising and promotional marketing efforts via e-mail messages to current and prospective customers
- Social media marketing involves both advertising and marketing (including viral marketing) efforts via social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and LinkedIn
- Proactive reputation management such as managing negative reviews and collecting authentic customer reviews
In the past, search engine optimization was often treated as a separate part of an overall Internet marketing strategy. In recent years, social media networking and online reviews have become critical ranking factors. SEO, Content Marketing and Internet Marketing are now part of you company’s total online presence.